PATTERNS OF LINGUISTIC INFLUENCE – PART 3
- These are sentences utilizing words that imply necessity or possibility. These are incredibly useful for bypassing resistance because it is pointing out what’s possible to notice, not what you must notice.
- Examples: “The most important thing you can pay attention to in this video is the part that talks abouth the formula for reaching your financial goals.”
- “You might feel a bit angry as you watch this video – and that’s ok. It’s not your fault.”
- “You could even notice the swimming pool in the background as you watch this video – and the fact that the way the light is reflecting from the windows proves that this isn’t a Green screen.”
- The use of words such as: learn, know, understand, change, wonder, think, feel – get the listener to supply the meaning in order to understand the sentence.
- You can construct a sentence with them but don’t be specific about what that verb is referring to.
- The more unspecific you are with things like that and the more of them you have around, the more it causes people to go internal.
- Examples: “As you learn new things today, you can understand exactly what changes you need to make in your business.”
- “When you decide to take the change that you’ve experienced today, and share it with others, you’re going to understand the power of this content in ways that will make you wonder – ‘is this REALLY possible?”
- Tag questions are a commonly used language pattern in sales. Any question that results in a response of “yes” is a tag question.
- There is an unconscious response that you have when you agree to something where it causes you to continue to agree.
- “Haven’t you?”
- “Can you not?”
- “Can you see it?”
- “Don’t you realice how powerful this information is?”
- When you get people to agree, agreement is powerful. You don’t want to ask a lot of reverse tag questions and créate a lot of “no” responses.
LACK OF REFERENTIAL INDEX
- This is when you’re not being specific about what you’re referring to when you construct a sentence.
- You can say something like, “It’s a good thing to learn language strategies, because the things that you learn…” I didn’t specify what the things you learn are.
- “It’s a good thing to learn language strategies, because the things that you learn…” I didn’t specify what the things you learn are.
- When you master these strategies, you start to communicate and speak in a way that causes people to go on the inside of their world. When they pull up the meaning from their world, it’s like you’re speaking just to them.
- It’s a comparison where the thing you’re comparing it to is left out.
- “This is definitely a faster way to get people to have breakthroughs. “ Faster compared to what?
- “You’ve made the better choice today.” Better compared to what?
- “You are so much more powerful now. “ More powerful that when?
PACE CURRENT EXPERIENCE
- Pacing is recognizing things that are undeniable that are happening and tying them to something.
- Example: “As you’re sitting or standing in this room, breathing the way you’re breathing, staring at me as you listen to my voice, as you relax more deeply realizing how powerful you’re now becoming as a result of this training.”
- A bind is presenting an illusion of choice.
- The exclusive “or” is an example of a simple bind, which is the offer of a choice between two or more comparable alternatives, either of which causes the direction you desire as the Communicator.
-“You can fill out the application by hand or I could fill it out for you. Which would you prefer?”
-“Would you feel more comfortable with a cup of coffee in you hand –or with a glass of wáter as you fill out the application?
-“Are you the kind of person that prefers silence while you’re filling out an order form, or can you have a conversation while you’re fillingo ut important details, like your credit card?”
- What you’re actually offering, is the illusion of having a choice – when really you’re just offering the choice of doing what you’re suggesting in a couple of different ways. There is a variant, where you simply offer all possibilities:
-“As you are filling out the application, you may feel nervous, excited, or maybe you just feel calm and collected as you’re completing your order.”
-“Today you may experience a breakthrough may come as a sudden insight. Maybe you”ll have a feeling where you say “aha!” inside. Or maybe you won’t experience anything at all, your breakthrough will just come in the form of new knowledge you can apply practically in your business.”
- A double bind is tying an unconscious process and binding that in one direction and then binding another behavior in another direction. You can’t process both at the same time consciously, so your unconscious mind can completely take over one side of the behavior.
- Time doublé binds link time to an autonomic unconscious response, like blushing, feeling warmth, coolness, numbness, or ideomatic unconscious phenomenon.
- “I wonder how long it will be before you are so excited, you literally can’t wait to pass this DVD to your friends and family.”
- “I’m curious at what point in the video you will have a feeling of complete, and total breakthrough.”
- “I know everyone is trying to get you to buy, and they don’t seem to realice: You’ve been researching it! They don’t seem to realice that you’re going to buy the second you’re ready, whether it’s in an hour, tomorrow, or on Friday this week. So when they’re plastering you with their join links –ignore them! You’ll buy when you’re ready- by Friday!”
- The Conscious – Unconscious Double Bind
- You’re describing a function of the unconscious mind and you’re separating it out from what the conscious mind is doing. You can’t pay attention to both. Then you’re directly instructing both the conscious and unconscious mind to do something at the same time.
- “As you’re focusing on the training today, your unconscious mind learning new things, and giving you new breakthroughs automatically.”
- “While you pay attention to the sound of my voice, your unconscious mind can direct your attention to the soles of your feet, and make them warm, as you consciously begin to focus on your breathing.”
- “And whether or not you’re aware of what your unconscious mind is learning isn’t relevant, as you are discovering thah this behavior is being produced automatically.”
- The Double Dissociation Double Bind
–These involve a dissociation on two levels, it makes conscious communication possible when someone is in a deep daydreaming or meditative state.
- “You can open your eyes and focus completely while your unconscious mind holds your body in a state of complete relaxation.”
- “As you remain completely aware during this training today, your unconscious mind will make your body get warm, feel good, and be more relaxed than you’ve ever been, while your absorb these new learnings automatically.”
THE CONVERSATIONAL POSTULATE
- A conversational postúlate is a way of phrasing a question where people automatically start carrying out the behavior without thinking about it. This is the way we ask for help from each other.
- I have an order form and I’m sitting next to you. I ask, “What did you like best about the presentation?” He tells me and I say, “It sounds like you’re ready to get started. Can you goa head and pull out your credit card because I’m going to talk to Bill here? Then we’re going to start filling this out.”
- “Can you open the door?”
- “Would you mind driving while I sit in the passenger seat because I have to work my presentatio”n for the event?
DIRECT AND EXTENDED QUOTATION
- Quotations are incredibly useful because they separate the Communicator from the information that they are delivering, bypassing resistance from the ‘prophet’ principle.
- When you’re quoting someone else, that information is generally not resisted.
- You can use quotations to affect behavior when you don’t really want to talk to someone directly.
- It’s powerful to quote other people when you’re giving people direct commands.
- Example: “I’m not surprised you dont’t understand this fully yet, because one of my six figure earners told me just the other day ‘You know, I didn’t even really get it – I just got to work, and started producing. Because ignorance on fire is better tan knowlegge on ice. I’m glad I listened to you when you told me”If you’re serious about your future, you’ll just take action immediately, before you understand it.””
- An extended quotation is to quote someone who quoted someone else. If y ufo that a few levels down, no one can remember who said what and their mind is trying to keep track of it while you’re giving direct commands.
- You can both directly quote, and weave quotes through several layers of people. Weaving quotes through several layers of people produces a kind of confusión affect where conscious resistance shuts off, because the mind is focused on who was talking to whom – leaving a space of internal silence for direct suggestion.
SELECTIONAL RESTRICTION VIOLATION
- This is a purposefully ‘mal formed’ sentence, giving something characteristics that it can’t naturally have.
- “If you don’t build this right now, this whiteboard is going to haunt you in your dreams.”
- “And the chair you’re sitting in can give you a certain kind of knowledge as you pay attention to today’s training.”
- “This DVD you’re holding is going to feel heavier tan a normal video as you watch it, because of how important it is for you to understand this simple message.”
- “This DVD is going to be angry at you if you don’t watch it immediately.”